My newest painting, 'Irish Setter'Most of the people I meet at exhibitions are a pleasure to talk to but there are others who either intentionally or not are at the best unthinking, at the worst rude.
I usually laugh the comments off as all exhibitors have had their share of 'those' people but a friend of mine has decided not to exhibit any more as she found the comments affected how she viewed her art.
So here are 10 of the comments artists hate to hear:-
- 'How much', said in a shocked voice, swiftly followed by John, Sue or Bob only charges a fraction of that, I wouldn't like to pay that much.
- 'I wouldn't pay that much' you can buy paintings for £10 at .......
- I like the ones painted by the artist over there better.
- Why do you paint cats they're horrible animals (insert animal of choice for cat, I've had the same comment for dogs, horses, birds etc)
- My friend, wife, sister etc is really good, said while looking at your art then walking away with a slight shake of the head.
- Why would anyone want to hang a painting of an animal on their wall.
- If I had the time I could paint like you
- Are you using crayons, I used to use those at school . (if I'm using coloured pencils)
- It's like painting by numbers
- How long has it taken to paint that (perfectly reasonable question) but after telling them 100 plus hours they follow it up with, it only takes John, Sue or Bob 10 hours and they're really good.