Sunday, March 30, 2008

Visit to Marwell

Last week we made the 500 mile round trip to Marwell Zoo near Southampton. Although I love that Zoo, the main purpose of the visit was to0 see if I could photograph Kiska, the female Amur Leopard cub who was born last November.
The weather was fine but really cold, that was an advantage as there were not that many visitors at any one enclosure. There were several parties of local school children though, who all looked to be having a marvelous time.

There was no sign of Kiska or her mum in the morning, although the male leopard was pacing around his adjoining enclosure.
We carried on walking round the Zoo for another couple of hours and then went back to the Leopards. There she was sitting among the rocks, one of fewer than 100 remaining Amur Leopards. She was briefly joined by her mum, and I got some lovely photographs for future paintings.
I really wish I lived closer to Marwell so that i could watch her growing up.
I have been working on a cat in French Grey coloured pencils with acrylic washed over the top in some places. He's now almost finished, and maybe I'll move onto an Amur Leopard next.



1 comment:

Meredith Stranges said...

Your coloured pencil work is lovely. It's something for me to aspire to! I admire your ability to get that lovely, intricate level of detail without overworking the drawing. Each one of your cat portaits looks crisp and natural.
If you have time, please visit me at http://charcoaltail.blogspot.com