Thursday, September 18, 2008

Gouache or Acrylic?

I've decided that acrylic is not giving me the results I'm looking for when painting Miniatures. I am struggling with the speed at which it dries and am also finding the colours look a little bit bright.
Because I'm using tiny brushes with tiny amounts of paint it is dry almost as soon as it hits the surface. This has been causing me growing frustration, so I decided to start again.

I decided to use gouache because it will work if I want to add coloured pencil. I also changed the polymin for Arches Hot Press paper.

So far I am finding this much easier, of course I might have changed my mind by tomorrow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this just as much as the first one Gayle. Your ability to do background textures is amazing, you make it look so easy! I've never tried Gouache before, it does sound easier to use than acrylic in that situation. The speedy drying is verrrrrry frustrating!

Making A Mark said...

I did wonder about that aspect with acrylics. I like the combination of gouache and CP!

Gillian McMurray said...

I will be interested to see how this works out. I have used gouache but found it a struggle to get the layers to stay put. It is a beautiful image.