Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Red Deer in Mixed Media

I had one of those days yesterday where I didn't want to do anything serious, I just wanted to experiment.
I've found out that all being well with my pre-op tests they've moved my operation forward to this Saturday, that threw me a bit.

I have some lovely photographs of Red Deer that I've taken over the course of several years visiting the Highlands of Scotland. I have been planning a large Deer painting for a while, so yesterday I decided to do a Deer study.

This is an old stag and I wanted to leave his grey fur as it gives him character. It is on Ingres pastel paper and includes Neocolor, Coloured Pencil and Acrylic.
I'm not sure I'll finish him but it helped me to see the potential problems.

After rushing round all day to get things at work sorted out I got another phone call from the hospital to say they don't have a bed for me this weekend, I'm back to where I started, oh well.

6 comments:

Gillian McMurray said...

The best of luck with your operation. Hope it won't keep you away from the drawing board too long.

Gayle Mason said...

Thank you, I'm planning on taking a graphite piece into hospital with me, it will help pass the time.

Unknown said...

Good luck Gayle! See you soon!

Jeanette Jobson said...

Isn't it so frustrating when hospitals keep changing their minds like that? I hope all goes well when you do have your surgery.

The deer looks very promising.

Anonymous said...

I suppose I have been a 'secret admirer' of your artwork for a long time! I absolutely love your style and your passion for animals. You have inspired me and my own art work and style in many ways. I hope to one day be as successful as you, as I am studying right now for my Bachelors in Fine Arts.

I have looked and either missed it or you have never said anything in your blog entries but would you mind sharing what brands of colored pencils and acrylic paint you use? I am in the market for new colored pencils and I love how your colored pencils come out and I thought using the same quality as you would be great.

I wish you the best of luck with your surgery. I know they are never fun but I have found working on a piece of art has helped me get away from it all.

Thank you and keep up the great work!

Gayle Mason said...

Thank you for all the good wishes, I am slowly feeling more human.
Jess, thank you for your lovely comments, I use all brands of coloured pencils but my favourites are Polychromos. I mainly use Liquitex acrylics, but I also use chromacolor quite a lot.
I'll do a blog post about materials soon.