Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Another Amur ( Siberian) Tiger in Pastel

















I've started another pastel of an Amur Tiger.
I took the photograph earlier this year at the Highland Wildlife Park in Scotland.
I'm using a mixture of soft pastels and pastel pencils on Fisher paper, the size is approximately 24 x 20 inches.
I'm beginning to dislike the CarbOthello pencils made by Stabilo because I'm having real difficulty sharpening them. No matter how carefully I handle them some of the colours break really easily. White is the main culprit followed by the cream colour which is a shame as I do like the way they work with the Fisher paper.
As far as sharpening is concerned I'm finding the Pitt pastel pencils far easier to work with.

2 comments:

Poet Whale Studio said...

Do you use a sharpener or a razor sharpener type knife? I find better control over pencil tips sharpening with a little blue razor device, blade always moving away from body parts of course.
Love your work

Fay Akers said...

this is coming along wonderful... but you already knew that.
:)