Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Whippet Sketch

I have not a lot of stamina at the moment after my hospital visit, and even less patience. So I decided to have a break from the grey cat and work on a sketch.

My usual style of working as you have probably realised, is highly detailed with many layers. To avoid producing a hybrid of loose and detailed,I decided to work with Derwent Drawing pencils. These are really creamy, come in 24 natural colours and have a really thick lead.
Derwent say 'the creamy, extra wide strip encourage loose, expressive tonal drawings'
I had a look through my reference photographs and selected a young Whippet as he had the short coat and beautiful bone structure i was looking for.

I set myself the challange of producing a sketch with character, you can judge if I succeeded. The one thing I would stress, is that I would never, ever, do the eyes loose, they are the soul of the portrait to me.


I intend to offer open edition giclee prints of this one in the near future.









4 comments:

Making A Mark said...

As you know I think this one is gorgeous - those eyes are just so soulful!

Gayle Mason said...

Thank you Katherine, it was nice to use the Derwent pencils for a change.

Gayle

artpaw said...

This is stunning! Lovely portrait of a very handsome pup.

Gayle Mason said...

Thank you Rebecca.

Gayle