Thursday, October 28, 2010

Three Racoons in Acrylic

This is the large (for me) acrylic that I'm working on.
It is about 8 x 16 inches on mdf that I have applied several coats of gesso tinted with acrylic to.
I haven't finished the top corner I just wanted to draw the first racoon in to give myself a reference point.

Last summer while on holiday in Canada I got lots of great reference photographs of racoons. In this one there are three sitting on a log, they couldn't have come up with a better pose.

The local joiners are willing to cut my boards for me which makes it easier to consider sizes that are not readily available. It is also much cheaper than buying prepared board and I'm finding I prefer board to canvas.

3 comments:

Jeanette Jobson said...

This will be fabulous when its done. Raccoons are so cute, but generally disliked because they're so destructive too.

Gayle Mason said...

Thanks Jeanette, I did wonder how popular a Racoon painting would be but in the end decided to go for it.
The painting itself will give me practice with so many textures including fur, bark, leaves etc

Jeanette Jobson said...

Oh it will be popular, they're such appealing animals, and this composition is lovely.

Just some of their nocturnal ramblings and explorations aren't too popular with people. :)